Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Modern Day Interlude Part I - Southern Cookbooks

Breaking away from the vintage for a few posts.....

Living in Georgia, I find tons of current day cookbooks focusing on Southern Cuisine. Instead of buying every cookbook I come across, I use my local library to find possibilities and when I come across a book I like, I jot down the title. While out thrifting I search for titles on my list ( I have NEVER paid retail for any cookbook!)

The Lee Brothers Southern Cookbook, published in 2006. Stories and recipes for Southerners and Would-Be Southerners.

Williams-Sonoma - The South New American Cooking, published in 2000. Part of the New American Cooking Series.

Southern Country Cooking from the Loveless Cookbook, published in 2005. Lots of yummy recipes from Nashville's favorite cafe. I own several books written by the Sterns.

Quick-Fix Southern, Homemade Hospitality in 30 Minutes or Less, published in 2011. Written by a local Athens, GA author.

Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine - The Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian Cooking, published in 1998.  Chosen as the James Beard cookbook of the year.






Cooking up a Storm, Recipes Lost and Found from the Times-Picayune of New Orleans, published in 2008. "After Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, thousands of people lost their keepsakes and family treasures forever. As residents started to rebuild their lives, The Times-Picayune of New Orleans became a post-hurricane swapping place for old recipes that were washed away in the storm. The newspaper has compiled 250 of these delicious, authentic recipes along with the stories about how they came to be and who created them."

The Cafe South Cookbook, published in  2001. Recipes are from a restaurant in Milledgeville, Georgia. I bought this book while volunteering at the library store in Athens-Clarke County library and also bought many copies to give out as gifts to friends and family.

Party Receipts from the Charleston (South Carolina) Junior League - Hors  D'Oeuvres, Savories and Sweets, published in 1993. Lots of great appetizer recipes.

Southern Cuisine - Life of the South, no publication date. One recipe I prepare from this book is the Sweet Potato Casserole with a pecan topping.

Automatic Y'all - Weaver D's Guide to the Soul, published in 1999.  Yummy recipes from a local meat & three (meat and three vegetable plate) restaurant.










No comments:

Post a Comment