Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Thrifty Time August ~ Week 3 Great American Cookie Cookbook and Dinners Dish or Dash

The Great American Cookie Cookbook, published in 2001. Former library copy that was actually presented to the institution by a patron according to a bookplate on the inside cover, unfortunately all identifying information has been blacked out. I had a book donated to our local library in my name after volunteering in the Library Store for 10 years. The book was perhaps a pictorial guide on purses - since at the time I was in the midst of a handbag sewing frenzy! I had a grand idea to try and supplement my income by making purses to sell at local craft fairs. After the first week I figured I would have to spend ALL of my free time cutting out the 10+ designs I had chosen, plus the actual sewing of the bags, then still be short of a proper inventory for any chance of being a vendor at a sale. I eventually sewed a few purses, and sold the rest of the materials at a yard sale (all the patterns were pieced with a few still needing to be cut). Anyhoo - on with the book....................

It's quite large - 393 pages and filled with mouthwatering photos of yummy treats. I love to find new cookie recipes to try out at the holidays. Until a few years ago, I would spend a weekend baking 8-10 varieties of cookies to give or mail to friends and family for Christmas. I have cut way back recently - only 4-5 different cookies - but still try to add a new cookie recipe or two every year. So far I have earmarked the recipes for Chocolate Orange Dreams, Inside Out Peanut Butter Cups, Coconut Almond Bars, Butterscotch Brownies, Citrus Cream Bars and ALL the recipes in the Outrageous Chocolate chapter.

Dinners in a Dish or a Dash, published in 2000.  Another former library copy and this time the bookplate is intact. Both of the books on this page were originally part of the Champion Forest Baptist Church Library in Houston, Texas. The recipes in this book consist of 275 easy to prepare one dish meals. There are also time saving tips next to few of the recipes.  I like the idea of only using one pot or dish to make an entire meal, less dishes to wash! A few of the soup recipes look delish and I may also try one or two of the entrees.




No comments:

Post a Comment