Monday, August 11, 2014

Library Store Find #2 The Century in Food

The Century in Food, published in 2002.  A cookbook and a history lesson in one book, combining two of my interests! As you can discern from the title, the book is filled with the history of food from 1900 to 1999. Each chapter covers the new trends, changes and technological advances by decade. The first recipe in the first chapter (1900 to 1909) is for Perfection Salad. This salad is STILL going strong, making appearances at church suppers and family reunions - at least here in the South.

Lots of great vintage ad and photos are scattered among the pages. I am taking my time reading this book, so much information to process!

Perfection Salad recipe:

Vintage Life Savers ad:

Vintage Piggly Wiggly store:

Vintage toasters:
Vintage Oreo ad:

Vintage Easy Bake oven (this is very close to the one I had when I was young and most likely led to my love of  cooking, baking and COOKBOOKS!):








No comments:

Post a Comment