Friday, August 8, 2014

Library Store Find #1 Candy The Sweet History

Candy The Sweet History, published in 2003.  While browsing for books at the local library, I was quite happy to see the store open, so I popped in to check out the shelves for any cookbooks to add to my collection. There were no titles that I found interesting, but I did come across two food related books (see the next post for book number 2).

Can I say this book is AMAZING? So many awesome vintage photos of candy through the years. I used to be a candy junkie, but have cut WAY back in recent years. Flipping through the pages brought back so many memories - most of my vivid recollections are usually triggered by music or food.

The book is a homage to the history of candy and includes a confectionery timeline of American candy makers beginning in 1868 when Cadbury introduced the first Valentine's Day box of chocolates. Several candy makers are profiled, including companies that are now defunct.  I was hoping to see a chapter on the chocolate maker located in my dad's hometown of Ponchatoula, Louisiana.  Elmer Chocolate started in 1855 in New Orleans and moved to its current location in 1963. During my college years, I lived the next town over and I was often tasked with procuring Elmer treats to send to my dad overseas. His (and my!) favorites were the Gold Brick egg followed by the Pecan egg then the Heavenly Hash  (all only sold during the Easter season).

Speaking of college, I once took a long bike ride around town and when I was recalling my trip with fellow dorm mates, one of my friends laughingly remarked that he knew that the best part of my journey was finding a new place to buy candy. Apparently, I was most animated and spoke at length about the WALL of candy at some store I stopped in to buy a drink.





Vintage Pay Day ad:




Vending company 1960 annual report (including cigarettes!)




Vintage Dubble Bubble Ad:


Vintage Reese's Cup ad: My candy Kryptonite :)


Squirrel Nut Caramels:




Vintage Charm's Pops ad (LOVED these when I was in middle school!)










No comments:

Post a Comment