Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Thrifty Finds - Last of My July Purchases #1 New York Cookbook

New York Cookbook, published in 1992. From Pelham Bay to Park Avenue, Firehouses to 4-star Restaurants, Neighborhood Gourmets and the Great Chefs, there are over 500 recipes from all five boroughs of New York. The recipes were collected by Molly O'Neill, a food columnist with the New York Times, a position she holds today. The book won both the Julia Child/ICAP and James Beard awards.

Besides the numerous recipes, there are over 700 photos, both vintage and current (at the time) of the many people and places of New York. Each borough is also broken down by neighborhoods with recommendations for food shops in the area, plus little tidbits of history and miscellany.

I took a quick trip to New York in 2007, and totally plan on going back for a longer stay. During my visit I limited myself to one museum (The Frick) and then a day in Chinatown. Another bucket list item of mine is visiting the Chinatown section of each metropolitan city I visit - so far I can check off Honolulu, New York and San Francisco. Anyways, I spent a half day walking around Chinatown, stopping in to eat at one of the many restaurants. The food was delicious and I ended my time there with a few pastries I bought at a Chinese bakery.


Vintage photo of a Nathan's Hotdog stand:


Photo of a Falafel stand:




No comments:

Post a Comment