Friday, November 1, 2013

Vintage Cookbooks - From Mom's House to Mine

My mom cut back on cooking a few years back, so I snagged a few cookbooks from her collection.

La Cochina de los Vela, published in 1984. Printed for the Velas family reunion held in Hildago County, Texas. The book was a gift to my mom from a former neighbor in Spain who retired in her home state of Texas.

Band Booster Makings, no publication date. Recipes compiled by the band boosters of Ponchatoula High School in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. My dad grew up and attended school in Ponchatoula (his family still resides there) and I attended college In Hammond - a few  miles down the road.










Our Golden Anniversary Favorite Recipes, published in 1980. Recipes compiled by the Maui Extension Homemaker's Council. Book was given to my mom by long time family friends from Wake Island and later Hawaii. They retired in Maui.

The Second Plantation Village Cookbook, published in 1996 (first printing date was 1987). Hometown cookbook! "Hawaii's Plantation Village is an outdoor museum that tells the story of life on Hawaii's Sugar Plantations (circa 1850-1950).  The Village includes restored buildings and replicas of plantation structures such as houses of various ethnic groups, community buildings such as the plantation store, infirmary, community bathhouse, and manager's office. We share the story of Hawaii's various cultures, including Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Puerto Rican, Japanese, Korean, and Filipino."  The village and nearby park were built after I left for college.


The Wake Island Cookbook, published in 1966. Compiled by the Wake Island Women's Club. For me, this book is the most special in my entire collection. I learned to bake from this book, read the recipes over and over countless time while growing up and still make a yummy carrot cake from a recipe found within the pages. 



No comments:

Post a Comment