Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New Acquisitions - Estate Sale Finds - Renfew Drive

Welcome 2014! Fell behind on my blog updates and thrifting forays due to holidays. Also, I am trying to be a bit pickier when buying  new books for my collection - at last count I have 700+ books and pamphlets! My spare room is beginning to look like a library - which is not horrible except my guest room is also bulging with other books I have purchased.

That being said, I bought the following books from the first estate sale of the year! It was held a huge house (6,000 sf) and I spent at least an hour looking in every room and closet, I found cookbooks and tons of other great items.

Cook Book - A Picture Cook Book for Children, published in 1951.  Cute book aimed at children between 7-12 years old. It covers the basics: measurements, cooking techniques, setting a table and even suggested menus. The recipes are fairly simple with drawings to aid the young reader. I started cooking/baking when I was around 9 years old and would have LOVED this book.

Ball Blue Book - Easy Guide to Thrifty Canning and Freezing, published in 1974. Chock full of canning/freezing recipes for ALL food types. I have always wanted to can fruit and veggies during the summer, but never seem to think about actually doing it until the fall! I "put up" strawberries in the freezer each year to enjoy during the winter months.

Good Housekeeping's Book of Salads, published in 1958. Recipes for all types of salads from green, fruit, frozen, hot and of course the congealed salad. There is also a chapter on salad dressings.


No comments:

Post a Comment