Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Thrifty Finds ( June - Week 4) #1 - Vegetarian Indian Cooking

The Art of Vegetarian Cooking, published in 1999 (original publication date was in 1987). A real bargain at only $1.00!! Massive book with almost 800 pages of 500+ recipes, including 20 pages on pakora (vegetable fritters) one of my favorite appetizers at the local Indian restaurant. There is an A-Z guide on Indian ingredients and cooking terms, plus instructions on making a few homemade essential ingredients (ghee, yogurt, etc. ).

According the inside blurb, the book was 10 years in the making and includes recipes from royal families and temples cooks which had been "jealously guarded" for centuries. Since I am the only one in my family who eats Indian food (usually alone, on my lunch hour, at the ONE Indian restaurant in town) this book may or may not become a shelf sitter. Or I could be adventurous and try making a Spinach/tofu dish to replicate the one I gobble up at my local restaurant, and maybe even tackle Naan, which I can attest tastes better fresh rather than frozen (Sorry Trader Joe's).


No comments:

Post a Comment